Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Bullets Ping Merrily Off His Body!

I'm checking out the Golden Age Green Lantern Archives.  As you can see, these were beautifully restored.  But I was kind of amused by the fact that a character who has been around for more than 70 years had such a brief origin. We had the train wreck, the history of the lamp and the ring within just 2 or 3 pages, culminating with this:


That's the first time I ever heard of a hero going for bizarre.  Most of the time, it just kind of turns out that way.  But, in retrospect, I don't think GL had that bizarre of a look:


I mean, the boots are a little funky and it appears those pants are way too tight because I'm seeing junk without wanting to see junk, but there were a lot goofier looks than this back in the day, especially when you consider WWII was going on and half the hero community dressed in some variation of the American Flag.

I never really understood his oath, either.  He just seems to be finishing a thought there:  "... And I shall shed my light over evil..."  Was he saying everything that led up to that to himself?  

Don't overthink it, Adam.

But in the first issue, they clearly hadn't established his boundaries.  Here, we see him cleaving a building:


Which, in retrospect, had to be completely devoid of any wood or that wouldn't have worked at all.

Meanwhile, he was also bulletproof:




See?  No green aura protecting him.  He's just bulletproof.  Why?  Because SHUT UP, that's why!



He's immune to all metals?  Even those already in the body?  Like iron, sodium, magnesium and calcium?  If that's the case, his teeth are going to fall right out of his head and you could probably break his arm with little more than a dirty look.

This newspaper tickled me:



If you are visited by a masked man in a bizarre costume, don't be frightened!

Really?  

So, if I wake up and see this:


I should just toss him a few bucks and go back to sleep?  Maybe they should clarify, or ... I don't know... run a picture of Green Lantern so I'll know what I'm looking for.

Enough of that!  It's time for Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)



See you tomorrow! 



1 comment:

Tracer Bullet said...

Maybe the writer said "bizarre" but the artist heard "fashion disaster."