Monday, September 14, 2009

More than 99 Luftballoons Monday!

More of the World's Finest Comics. Know how we know they're the world's finest? Because they came from World's Finest #86!


That saves a lot of time? Really? I mean, I know they didn't have cel phones, but I'm showing Oliver had to shoot more than 80 arrows just to spell the word "CAPTURED." I don't care how fast he is, I'm betting I could run into a convenience store and use a phone quicker than the time it took to pull that little stunt.

Worst. Gift. Ever:


After Serena Williams' bit of douchebaggery over the weekend (which I won't elaborate on, because douchbags like Serena and Kanye West thrive on the attention they get for their douchebag behavior), I am more convinced than ever that jocks may be many things, but I think "heroes" is a massive overstatement. Let's go with "overpaid egomaniacs." But more to the point, can you imagine your kid with 500 loose photographs? Kids collect crap. It's what they do. I cannot fathom having 500 photos scattered all over my house. And yes, there are a billion comics flowing through my house at any one time, so I acknowledge I am a hypocrite.

A blast from the past:


I seem to recall hearing the Silly Putty was called "Nutty Putty" back in the day, although that makes it sound like something you'd use to keep a jock strap in place (which I'm sure is why they changed the name). I also recalled that I paid 96 cents for a plastic egg of the stuff back in the 70's, which was 4% less than it apparently cost a kid in the 50's. My head hurts.

And for those of you who didn't get the title of today's blog, here's a little 80's culture for you:



The English version stinks.

See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

Aaron Carine said...

How do they get the balloons to inflate in mid-air?

ShadowWing Tronix said...

I rather liked the English version. Not that I understood it any better. :)

Anonymous said...

Not to mention there's the matter of perspective. Sure, the balloon spell it out perfectly from where he's looking, but from headquarters it probably just looks like a mess of balloons in the sky.

Josh said...

You've put an extra "o" in "Luftballons," no? Thanks for the Eighties material, nonetheless!

Anonymous said...

Ninety nine dead baboons
sitting in my living room
not to functional it seems
but quite a conversation piece