Monday, April 23, 2018

In Which Spider-Man Shows that He May be a Scientist, but not a Behavioral Health One


Aaaaaand we're at issue #39 and it doesn't look like I'm going to reach the end any time soon.  I give you, "SCOURGE OF THE SCHIZOID MAN!"


It always makes me nervous when a character is named for a mental illness, especially when the cover indicates to me that they're using the wrong mental illness.  The costume has me concerned that someone thinks being schizoid is the same thing as having multiple personality disorder.

But let's see, shall we?

But first:


Spider-Man!  I have danger to warn you about, if you would kindly not shine your little belt spotlight thingie right in my face.  Seriously, we've met a thousand times.  We're way past the theatrics here.

Before we get into the story, let's check out a mystery subplot:


Can you guess who these guys are?  Can ya?

Seriously, if you can't, you are one casual comic book nerd.

Here's Guy-We-Haven't-Officially-Been-Told-is-Electro pontificating:




Did someone get him a word-of-the-day calendar or something?  When did Electro start talking like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory?

Meh.  Here's an origin:


The baby actually appeared to form Mjolnir, which is actually more impressive than it is upsetting IMHO.

Anyway, here are my fears confirmed:


All together, class:  That's not what being schizoid is.  When you are schizoid, you are disconnected.  I mean, there's more to it, but that's basically what it means to be schizoid.  These kind of blunders disproportionately annoy me.  It's not like this isn't an easy thing to fact-check.

But then this happened:


So now I'm interested again.  See you soon!

1 comment:

Patrick McEvoy said...

Wow - one of the early John Romita Jr. books! It's slightly more interesting art than Sal B. at least, though still not very good.

But what I really wanted to mention is that the bad guy's name was probably inspired by the King Crimson song "21st Century Schizoid Man". Which doesn't excuse the incorrect usage of the word but at least explains how Bill M. may have come up with the character.