Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Look Ahead and a Look at Powfolio!


Dear Ones, I think we can all agree that 2016 was a throat-punch of a year.  We survived it, but I'm not eager to have another year like it any time soon.  And because of all the stuff that went on with life, I realize blog posts were not nearly as steady as I would have liked and I'm sorry about that.

But fear not!  I feel more posts coming on, so we're far from done.  But for today, I wanted to pass on some info about an interesting new app that lets you read comics on your phone for free.  And, in the interests of fairness, I'm going to tell you that as always I'm receiving absolutely nothing (valuable or otherwise) for reviewing or sharing info.

Anyway, here 'tis:





As you can see, there are three types of comics.  They're further divided by content.  And they do indeed add new comics every day.  The app serves as a self-contained comic reader that I found very easy and intuitive to use.


So, what's the catch?  There aren't any, but there's a couple of things to note:

1)  There are small ads at the bottom.  That's why it's free.  That will bother the heck out of some users.  It didn't bother me at all.  I'm all in favor of advertiser supported stuff if it'll save me some dough.

2)  While there are some of the larger publishers on there, don't expect anything at this point from the Big Two.  I doubt we'll ever see anything from Marvel because they have Marvel Unlimited going on, but since DC doesn't have any kind of comparable streaming service, maybe they would consider using this app as a platform.  As we all know, the number of users of this app would be insane if they provided DC books.  I don't think you'll find a bigger publisher than Image at this time.


So, what's the bottom line?  

Pros:
It's a very simple interface with a kinda-neat chat function.
It's great for people who want to read comics without downloading them.
It remembers the books you were reading and keeps track of where you were.
If you like indie books or Golden Age titles, this is awesome.

Cons:
No titles from the Big Two.
Of course, you have to be online to use it.
Ads may be a problem for some.


So, there you have it!  I like it and use it.  If it had DC titles on there, I'd be on it for about six hours a day.  But it's nice to get introduced to some new titles or read up on some Golden Age greats.

You can find it at the Apple Store or Google Play.

So, what's in store?

After we finish Master Comics, I think I've found a guy who has some Silver Age Teen Titans.  Any Silver Age Marvel Comics we should do?  I tried to do Iron Man, and it just didn't give me anything.  I mean, I guess that means Silver Age Iron Man was a quality comic, but we clearly don't come here to admire a quality comic.  Let's not kid ourselves here.

Expect semi-regular posts to resume soon!


No comments: