Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bring Me My Food and Plenty of It!

I was saddened to hear about the passing of Nick Cardy over the weekend.  He always had a place near and dear to my heart because, of the many things he drew, he also drew this cover:


This cover was the first comic with Batman that I had ever read.  I had been introduced to Batman via a Hostess trading card that came in a package of Wonder Bread, and when my father agreed that I could subscribe to a comic, I chose Batman.

Imagine my delight when I slid the comic out of that flat brown paper wrapper and saw all that awaited me. 100 PAGES worth! It was right up there with Christmas morning.  You may not be able to judge a book by its cover, but I always get all fanboy about a great comic cover, and Cardy produced some of the best.

And now let's take a look at Pep Comics #29:


I'm prepared to guess that someone unknowingly ate a lot of waiter saliva that evening.

And here was something that caught my eye from the Sergeant Boyle story:


Keep in mind, this was found in a Japanese military kitchen.  I've worked in a few professional kitchens in my day, and I certainly don't claim to be an expert on Japanese cuisine.

But what the heck are you cooking that calls for knockout drops?

Whatever those are.

In any sense, someone probably needs to double-check their recipe.

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Aaron Carine said...

Was that Talia the Penguin was menacing?

Adam Barnett said...

Indeed it was! In that outfit, I understood why Bruce had such a hard time maintaining a professional distance from her over the years.