Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Isn't It Ironic... Don't You Think? Batman Does!

Some Silver Age goodness from Batman #145!


Hmmmm... I don't think it's ironic at all.  It's actually pretty much exactly what you would expect, which is the opposite of irony.  Alanis Morrissette  further confused a generation of listeners as to what "irony" means with that dreadful song, but I guess she wasn't actually the first to do it.  I'd put the video up of it but that song annoys me that much.

But before we get to that, Batman has an adventure in Hawaii.  You may recall we had an Alaskan story right when they were getting statehood, so it's only fair.  We see volcanoes, a sugar cane farm, and yes...


... Batman and Robin go to a luau.

Later that issue, Batman is shrunk and fights a housecat:


YEAH!

Although that wasn't particularly original.  The Incredible Shrinking Man came out about 5 years earlier:



This is one of the few times I've seen that comics didn't do it first!

Back to the whole "Joker's Son" story.  It wasn't that great, but there was water skiing:


and there was Batman drinking lemonade with the Joker:


... so it's hard to say it wasn't worth reading, because it totally was.

See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

Aaron Carine said...

Yeah, it bugs me when people use irony incorrectly. On a episode of Constantine, a local official was burned to death. Constantine said it was ironic because the town he presided over had a dragon as its symbol. No,John, that is coincidence.

Adam Barnett said...

Ugh! Don't get me started. Irony, literally, "I couldn't care less", the aversion to putting "-ly" at the end of adverbs.... all grammatical crimes punishable by death when I am made supreme overlord.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

But guys, at the end of the day the use of the word irony provides closure as a, well, as a teaching moment.

That's the stuff that gets me. As a writer, I'd be whacked over the head if I used characters who say "At the end of the day..." as often as I hear it said in conversation by pundits AND with people downtown.

It would be so much cooler to have Adam write CONSTANTINE. "He was burned to death? Oh, man. That's awesome!"

Adam Barnett said...

I keep waiting for Marvel or DC to recognize my awesomeness....

Aaron Carine said...

I just committed a grammatical crime by writing "a episode" instead of "an episode". I am lucky that Adam isn't supreme overlord yet.

BatmanisBw said...

You know what always bugged me about the Batman 2 and Robin 2 stories? Robin is Batman and Batwoman's son. That's Disgusting. Batwoman is Batman's cousin.

Adam Barnett said...

In some cultures, that's perfectly okay. Apparently if you're dressing up like a bat and fighting crime for free, marrying and siring an offspring with your cousin is no big deal.

Gene Phillips said...

I don't think Kathy Kane was related to Bruce Wayne in the Silver Age stories, and I hadn't even heard anyone said that she was. Could you elaborate?