Friday, September 24, 2010

Blow Only in Great Danger Friday!

So, I was trolling around the public domain comics looking for Crimebuster stories, and I got distracted by Captain Fearless #1.

And there were TWO issues of Captain Fearless, smartypants, so don't get all smug.

But if you missed one of those two issues, and I'm prepared to guess most of us did, let's check in on the origin of Captain Fearless:



Wait a minute. The ghost of a guy's ancestor talks to him and then leaves him equipment for fighting injustice? Haven't we seen this exact origin before?

Why, yes we have.

Hmmmmmm. I don't know if I can go on. I mean, the guy's name is John Fearless and he has the exact same origin as the unfortunately-named Fighting Yank. Wait - what's that written on the horn?


HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Okay, I'm back in.

But then I see this:


You may wonder why Captain Fearless gets inducted into the Costume Hall of Shame, but here's the punchline:

This wasn't a Western series.

Exactly.

Hey! It's a Moment of Comic-Book Greatness!(tm!):


Can you believe this comic book didn't take off? I mean, it had Captain Fearless, and... whatever that last thing was, and Citizen Smith!



Let's check out his awesome origin!:


So, he went to the grave of his ancestor, you see? And the ancestor's ghost appeared...


.... and.... told him to.... fight injustice.

Are you kidding me? Two guys with the exact same origin in the same bleeding issue? I have endured much in my love for you, oh Cruel Mistress that is Comics, but now you have pushed me too far!

Heh.... "Blow Only in Great Danger."

Oh, I can't stay mad at you for long, my love!

I suppose it's possible. Ghosts are usually the remains of old people, and old people always feel entitled to tell you how to live your life, so if you meet a ghost you can probably anticipate it's going to give you some time-consuming mission. I can't wait until I'm old enough to do that! I'm gonna annoy the heck out of everyone, everywhere I go! You worthless kids!

See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

David said...

Well, you have to admit any adult who walks around dressed like Davy Crockett in the 1940s has pretty much earned the name "Fearless."

I'm pretty sure you can't blow a powder horn, anyway, so I guess Great-Grandpa Dead Guy has a sense of humor. "Here, wear this outfit and blow on this horn and...um...you'll be a great crimefighter. Yeah, that's it. Heehee..."

Justin Garrett Blum said...

The unknown soldier isn't really unknown anymore, is he? Time to move him out and move somebody else in.

Murfyn said...

"The Monstrous Memoirs of a Mighty McFearless" is the title of a book by Ahmet Zappa. I mention it because of the "fearless", and also the plot does involve help from a distant ancestor. It is good if you like that sort of thing. Somewhere between "Nancy Drew" and "Series of Unfortunate Events".

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't it be funny of the Ghost of the Unknown Soldier was just messing with that guy? Like, he appears to everybody who comes to visit and tells them that they have to go out and fight crime, and then laughs his ass off as they go out and get killed by street thugs.

That's what I'm going to do when I'm a ghost.

MarvelX42 said...

Yeah, I heard that they figured out who the Unknown Soldier was, but that they then did replace him with a different unknown.

MarvelX42 said...

Also upon reading the horn he says "I'll remember that!" Uhm dude, you don't have to remember that. It is engraved right on the thing.

Comixbear said...

RE: Citizen Smith. I'm just imagining the next scene...

"Wait a minute, Dad! You didn't even tell me your @(#$(*& name!! That's carrying the unknown too far, when you won't even let me know my father's name!!!"

Lazarus Lupin said...

There is great danger that this blows

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review