Monday, January 9, 2017

When You Make a Man Close Up His Jernt, You Make an Enemy


Howdy, folks!  Again I have to apologize for dropping off the map there.  I had a bit of a project to do for ye olde day job and it took every spare minute I had.

But we're back, so let's finish our look at Master Comics #47!


I'm not a big fan of Western comics (although I do read a Jonah Hex and Bat Lash story every chance I get), but you've got to love lines like, "He made me close up my jernt."

Hey!  It's time for Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)


Yeah!


He does?  Um.... what's in it for me, exactly?  I suppose it's flattering to be asked, but I'm not really up on "riding into danger" with anyone unless there are some very clear understandings.

And now for another installment of Wait.... what? (tm!)


Wait.... what? (tm!)

I understand it was a more innocent time, but let's not forget that Billy Batson is a child.  I realize they're one and the same, but the people he's talking to don't know that and I don't think it's ever a good idea to say you have a "date" with a child.  Poor choice of words there, Cap!


Really?  Because looking at that picture, I've got a mighty good feeling about that fella.  He's got one of those trustworthy faces, you know?

And finally, an interesting bit of history in this house ad!


Cool stuff!

See you soon!

4 comments:

Cflmaior said...

A bit of optimism by Fawcett on that last panel. When this issue was on the newsstands (Feb. '44), Mussolini had already been rescued from the Gran Sasso mountains (where he was being held captive by the Badoglio government) by SS-Haupsturmführer (Captain) Otto Skorzeny and made leader of the Republic of Salò (German-occupied northern Italy) by Hitler.

Adam Barnett said...

Wow! Considering how mar ahead they have to send things to the printer, I suppose a little "chicken-counting" can be forgiven. But fascinating factoid once again, Cfl!

Aaron Carine said...

Even though Mussolini was puppet ruler of a German-created republic, he had been deposed as Italy's head of state, and Italy was no longer on the Axis side. So IMHO, it wasn't inaccurate to say he was "down".

Emily Russell said...

If anyone else has interest, I just finished 'The Girl from Venice' by Martin Cruz Smith which takes place during this time, and in the area. It's enjoyable, and fairly light reading.

Hope for the best for you & your family Adam.