Monday, July 6, 2009

The Most Awesome Avengers Issue Ever Tuesday!

There was no way I wasn't going to pick this up, even if Tigra was still part of the team:


That's right. The Ghost Rider and the Angel crossing paths for the first time post-Champions. Oh, Jim Shooter, thy name is Joe Awesomeness!

I always liked the Ghost Rider, even before his 1990's series that started out so awesome and then just kinda imploded into a big pool of suckdom. I read his 1970's series until it went kaput and even though he was way underused in the Champions, he was one of the big draws for me.

And, of course, he was smart enough to give Iron Man a face full of Hellfire because Iron Man never remembers to close up those slits in his helmet, even though that's the first place most foes aim.

And, AND! A fight between Ghost Rider and the Angel. It's cliche, but it's bitchin'!:


albiet rather brief. I mean, the Ghost Rider is a flaming skeleton while the Angel is just a guy with wings. How do you think it's going to turn out?


Yeah, like that. But we also get to hear someone use the term "You fiend!" for the first time since the 1940's, so that's pretty cool in and of itself.

And we see a kid in a cheap Spider-Man T-shirt:


and cut-offs that are way too high up. But that's how we rolled back in the day.

And, surprisingly enough, we get to see the Ghost Rider run roughshod over the Avengers... in their own book! How often does that happen?


That, my friends, was the best two quarters I ever spent.

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The cover says copyright 1981 (I think) and yet Tigra is wearing bellbottoms and a vest in the last panel. I don't expect comic artists to keep up with the latest fashions per say, but I thought bellbottoms hadn't lived past the middle 70's...

Unknown said...

Ghost Rider seems so happy here, always laughing after slapping someone upside of their head

Adam Barnett said...

Stephen - I'm afraid they were in a small town in the West and Tigra had purchased a pair of chaps to get into the spirit of things. I wish I were joking.