Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lightning Speed or Not, Throwing Darts is a Weak Power

I'm reading 4Most Comics #2 and I'm still getting a handle on the Target.  He was popular enough for his own title, but I can't figure out why.  His weapon of choice appears to be lawn darts:


Not that you can't do some damage with lawn darts.  It's just... I dunno, it's kind of like plowing into your enemies driving a Ford Pinto.  It's probably effective, but... you know. 

Hey!  It's time for Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)


Wow... I'm not sure exactly what the mechanics are behind a catapult that does that, but count me out.

Hey!  Bonus!


Man... we know that's right, don't we, fellas?


I'm not sure what that means.  Did people used to say that?

And now.... a CMNS Moment of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!):


This has been a CMNS Moment of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!)

See you tomorrow!


6 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

I only have the one panel to go by, Were there any banjo's involved in the rest of the story? Were any of those guys playing the banjo? Is it just a seemingly totally unrelated reference to a banjo?

Adam Barnett said...

No other banjos sighted or referenced!

Buzz said...

I would totally read the heck out of a comic book that featured a super hero who's shtick was to drive cars into his opponents.

In other words, yeah, I'd try that kind of story on my banjo.

Britt Reid said...

"I'm still getting a handle on the Target. He was popular enough for his own title..."

Actually, he debuted in Target Comics #10.
The first nine issues featured other characters.
It's like Silver Streak Comics.
The character Silver Streak didn't appear until #3 of that title...

Smurfswacker said...

I think the "banjo" line was the writer's attempt at a funny variation of "try this on your piano." That phrase comes from the heyday of sheet music (1890s-1920s). On the back of a song sheet the publisher would print the opening bars of some of their other songs with the admonition to "try this on your piano," in hopes of selling more music. It became a catchphrase that I've seen referenced in movies and magazine cartoons as late as the 1940s

Adam Barnett said...

There we go! Thanks, Smurf! And that's a good point, Britt! I think there may be another title or two where the "title character" didn't show up right away... I'll keep an eye out!