Friday, March 13, 2009

Dancin' the Blues (Beetle) Friday!

I loved the Ted Kord version of the Blue Beetle. I didn't like the new version of the character that came out post-Infinite Crisis, and yes I read most of the series. It just didn't do it for me. So, when I had a shot at reading one of the Golden Age Blue Beetle comics, I didn't know what to expect:


Well, we know one thing. He ignores exploding buildings. That, in my book, gets us off to a great start. I like a hero with ADD.
____________________________________


One thing I noticed was that the characters danced a lot. For no reason. With no music playing.


Even when avoiding onrushing traffic. See? Dancing.



Help! He's mad! And still I must dance! Dammit, I must!


See? Cars flying everywhere, and this chick is doing the swim!



Dancing is contagious. Even our hero apparently gets his groove thang on!
_________________________________



Being a relatively low-budget comic, our hero often had to do his own dramatic narration. It was a workable arrangement, although it would get a little distracting when he would shout "Dun dun DUUUUUUN!"
________________________________



I'm not overly familiar with his powers, but I'm relatively sure he couldn't become a giant, despite what you see here.
________________________________



Who is the lady talking to? The Blue Beetle is right in front of her, and she's waving to a passing jet!

I don't totally "get" this comic yet, but I can tell I'm going to grow to love it.

See you Monday!

6 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

I love the 'watch my smoke' line. So much more poetic than 'eat my dust'.

Do the Beetle!

Anonymous said...

Apparently he can also fly? What kind of super vitamin was he taking?

SallyP said...

I can't get over that incredibly huge mole on the blonde lady's forehead. Nobody says anything, but you just KNOW they are all staring at it.

De said...

This sequence of showcased panels reminds of the ending to You Don't Mess with the Zohan.

Anonymous said...

This is several kinds of awesome. "What a close call this is!" is going to become my catch phrase whenever I'm in imminent bodily danger.

Anonymous said...

What is that on her head?
An apple? A donut?