Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Super Sensitive Nostril Tuesday!

From Adventure Comics #354-355. These issues were later reprinted in a DC Super-Stars Giant, which is where I read the tales of the adult Legion of Super-Heroes. I think I lost and re-bought that issue on at least four different occasions.

This two-part storyline of the adult LSH wasn't really much different from the regular teenage LSH, but even the most casual Legion fan remembers the prophetic details of what would happen to many of the characters. But the greatest moment wasn't in finding out who died, who married whom, the sneak preview of characters yet to come, or who would lose their powers. Oh, no. The jewel in the crown was thus:


Yup. Super-sensitive nostrils. "Nostril" is a word we don't use enough these days, and I'm going to change that, single-handedly if need be. Nostril.

But when we finally tear ourselves away from the drama that is the Nostrils of Tomorrow, check out the opening page of part II:


Whoever these mystery characters are, we can only hope it's someone with better aim. Seriously, these two warring factions are what.... three feet from each other? Lightning is flying everywhere, and no one takes a hit. It's like the big battle scene in any episode of The A-Team.

I love how Saturn Woman and Saturn Queen are fighting each other with bitch looks. I guess when you're a telepath, all you can physically do to your opponent is give her a dirty look.


Oh, no you di'it!


Oh, yes, I did!


Bitch!


Skank!

and so on, and so on, until one of them takes off their earrings and the weave-pulling begins.

___________________________________

From Secret Society of Super-Villains #6:


I hate to be one of those fanboys, but when did Captain Cold's pistol become a Green Lantern ring? It shoots out ice. That's about it. So, an iceberg is fine. We can also accept something along the lines of an ice bridge or maybe an ice slide. Sure.

But life-sized, detailed ice sculptures of football players? Not so much. I just don't see the good Captain having the kind of time required to crank out something like that. And, even if given all the time in the world, I don't think Deadshot would have the weaponry skill involved to give the statues that kind of intricate detail, and he's got much better aim than Captain Cold.

One thing is for certain, though:


Fear the mighty "TWEEE!" of Black Canary.

Nostril! Tweee! Nostril!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nostril! Frock!


... Fudge Judge?

FoldedSoup said...

"This periodical may not be sold except by authorized dealers and is sold subject to the conditions that it shall not be sold of distributed with any part of its cover or markings removed, nor in a mutilated condition, nor affixed to, nor as part of any advertising, literary or pictorial matter whatsoever."

Nuts. No Photoshop chicanery for me. Stymied! I thumb my nostril at them!

Comixbear said...

"Hmmm...My super-sensitive nostrils detect the scent of gas in the air..."
And Cosmic Boy/Man says "Oops. My bad. That was me. I had the taco salad for lunch."

http://comixbearbarecomix.blogspot.com/

SallyP said...

Poor Superman. Between his sensitive nostrils, his incredible eyesight, and mega-magnificent hearing, does the poor fellow get ANY rest?

Obviously, Captain Cold had a giant icecube mould in his pocket, all he has to do is fill it with water, and freeze it, and...presto! Icey Linemen! A smash at parties!

Is it me, or is Black Canary's behind just enormous in that scan?

Sea-of-Green said...

Nostril! Tweee! Nostril!

Hee, hee!

I suppose Superman's super-sensitive nostrils could also be catching a whiff of bad breath from Black Canary's "tweee."

Anonymous said...

So Superman smells...a fart?
I can smell gases from an inhibiting reflex from across the room.
Does this mean I have Super Powers?

Erich said...

"Behold...lightning bolts crashing out of my nostrils!"

SallyP said...

Ohhhh...Erich!

Anonymous said...

Ah, but those of us who remembering reading the Adult Legion stories when they were first published know that that's actually a scene of Superman and Cosmic Man disguised as each other! The disguised Superman is using his super-ventriloquism to make it appear that the disguised Cosmic Man is talking about his nostrils.

And I love how the mysterious figures in the splash page of the second story have conveniently placed the letters "M" and "L" on their chests.

Anonymous said...

I thought the "M" and "L" were for "Medium" and "Large". It can be hell finding armor in the right size, you know!

Erich, that comment about "Alieog-Laboids" almost made me choke on my Tootsie Roll.

Erich said...

Credit where credit's due: The link I posted is not to my own blog. I remembered the story, and googled "lightning bolts crashing out of my nostrils"...and lo and behold, there it was. (I believe the search also turned up a review of the same story at Scott Shaw's Oddball Comics site.)

Anonymous said...

I thik it would have been more amusing if the reply to Supermans nostril monologue was: "No Superman, You're way off the mark".

Anonymous said...

kamagra recommended me some old comics but it is a pity that most of them I can't find them in stores. I hope that DC Digital store brings those old comic back.