Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nose-Noosin' Thursday!

I am speechless. I am without speech:


Now, before you write him off, Spellbinder was not a one-shot.  He fought Batman twice and Superman once, and was rebooted as a villain in the Batman Beyond animated series.  Frankly, Batman had more trouble with him than he should have in this issue alone.  I mean, if a guy hypnotizes you once, don't you think common sense would dictate you not look in his direction the next time you see him?  But Batman did.  Twice.

But the main reason I bring up Spellbinder is because that, my friends.... is a butt-ugly costume.  Welcome to the Costume Hall of Shame!(tm!)

And this....


is one tiny book.  Do you think Bats just read aloud the entire contents of the Bat-Book of Crime?

Here's a little something unusual from Detective #357:


"Guest artists" were starting to draw Ralph, but I guess there was a "guest colorist" as well, because that's a costume I haven't seen before or since.  I think he got the red and yellow inverted, and it was that way for the whole story.   Wouldn't it have been cool if he just went back and forth every couple of issues?  I would think that if any comic character would do that, it would be Ralph.

But by the next issue, the red and yellow were back to normal, as were the Things I Find Disturbing!(tm!):



See?  Even the bad guys are grossed out.  I think he was just nasty sometimes because he amused himself that way.

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

I think that they meant for that book to be so small so that it could fit in his utility belt.

D.B. Echo said...

Perhaps Ralph had one costume for home games, and an inverted-color one for away games.

Zocktastic said...

So Spellbinder wasn't an original creation by the Beyond writers? Well, you learn something new everyday. Gotta admit, that incarnation of him was pretty spooky. This one, though... well... Yeeeeah...