Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Splash Pagin' Wednesday!

After reading today's Progressive Ruin, I was reminded of Bananas Magazine. For you young 'uns, Bananas was a humor magazine for teenagers. It didn't have a long run compared to Cracked or Mad , publishing about 70 issues from 1975 to 1984, but it was hilarious.

Anyhoo, I was doing a little research, and learned that the editor and main writer of Bananas, Jovial Bob Stine, would later become R.L. Stine, the wildly successful writer of those Goosebumps books that the kids enjoy. I'm glad to see that Stine went on to great success, but I miss his advice column Ask Granny Meatloaf. You kids today wouldn't understand.

A classic scene from Avengers v1 #106:


Wow, was that a display. Is Rick Jones acting like that girl you dated once and just never called again or what? Someone get that boy a Motrin!
___________________________________


Beware the Crotch Canon of Hydra!
__________________________________

A nifty splash page from Avengers v1 #108:


I pulled this one so you can see a pantless Hawkeye in the heat of battle. Even without pants, he was still more useful than the Wasp.
__________________________________

And, one more for the Pantless Hawkeye Gallery:


Hey, if I had to see it, I'm taking you with me.

See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I can't believe you mentioned Bananas magazine. I remember that.

Short-lived indeed.

D.B. Echo said...

For a few seconds I was thinking, "Wait, Pizzazz didn't run that long!" But then I did a double take. I forgot about Bananas, but I've always remembered "Jovial" Bob Stine, who also authored numerous humor books for Scholastic. I was glad when I found that he had gone on to a second act as R.L. Stine of the insanely successful Goosebumps series.

SallyP said...

Man, those Hydra Boys, do seem to enjoy their work.

And thank goodness for strategically placed feet, on that last scan!

Thomas Fummo said...

ditto what Sally said.

yeesh. :-S

Elie said...

A crotch cannon doesn't seem too practical - think kickback. Ouch!

SUBZERO said...

I guess that answers the question where Hydra gets it´s employees : the sado / maso club down the street. They can skip that part of the training and go right to the punishment.