Friday, May 25, 2007

An Editorial

Okay, I don't intend to post any additional content until Tuesday, but I wanted to take a moment to speak to my fellow fanboys and fangirls about our little hobby.

Most of us are very aware of the covers of two Marvel comics this month that have generated a lot of discussion. Both of these covers have been criticized because of excessive violence or overt sexual themes. I am happy to say that I have yet to read anything that endorses carelessly distributing these comics into the hands of younger readers in the name of the First Amendment.

Dear Ones, if you happen to follow these titles, feel free to buy them. You aren't contributing to the end of civilization - it is, after all, only a fun hobby we enjoy and (even for me) does not dictate the course of our lives.

By the same token, if you find the covers offensive, then vote with your dollar and do not buy them. Send a message that you have a line and Marvel crossed it with that particular issue. You have every right to decide what is in your collection and what is not.

If, like me, you don't find the covers overly offensive but agree that they are not suitable for younger readers, buy selectively. Do not buy the books where they are displayed next to Krypto or Looney Toons, and if you have the courage, tell the clerk why, and tell him you are going to purchase the books from a store that is more responsible with how it handles mature content.

I follow this practice with comics, movies, music, whatever - if a store makes any materials available to young consumers that I consider inappropriate, I don't call the cops or call for a boycott or petition the government to ban the material itself. I very quietly excercise my options as a responsible consumer and support the merchant who pays attention to what he's selling and to whom he is selling it.

I am 100% against censorship and 100% in favor of personal responsibility. Please do your part to keep your own little corner of the world safe for the younger ones.

Thanks again for reading!

5 comments:

FoldedSoup said...

Well said.

Enjoy your Holiday!

Vaklam said...

I'm in all kinds of agreement with you.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

i must be on the wrong earth since I don't know which MARVEL comics you are referring to.

Sleestak said...

Well said! But I don't think the comic companies break down what sold where. I might be wrong but do they look at say, Piggly Wiggly sales vs Borders?

Adam Barnett said...

sleestak, I don't think they do. I'm just saying that since stores have to order comics, they are likely to notice that they've sold 20 copies of one comic and 2 copies of another when they place future orders. They certainly will notice if you drop $50 on comics each month and you are taking your business elsewhere.