Monday, July 8, 2013

The Fowling Skiff Darting Out From Out the Papyrus Thickets Yonder!

You know, if they're going to have a queen of the jungle series and a series that takes place in ancient Egypt, that's fine, but why didn't they just give the characters different names?  I see no connection between the two.  Maybe if you're a Fantomah fan, you can help me figure this out.


Okay, I don't know what the guy in the bottom is so distracted by.  You've got two women going after each other with knives, and it's like he's checking out a turtle or something.  And that panther's body is way too long.  I'm not saying I could do any better, but it looks like a dachshund.  

So, I try to read this thing because I care so much about this blog, and I run into this:


What?  Seriously, what kid wants to read that kind of dialogue?  I'm the first to admit that I tend to blow off sci-fi because it involves learning a bunch of new words, but I just don't see any small child passing up Captain Marvel Adventures to read this.


Yeah, because nothing cements a friendship like slavery. Surely Fantomah won't stand for ...


Well, shows what I know.

Let's finish this tale up with some Well...Touche! (tm!)


Well... Touche! (tm!)

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Marionette said...

I'm a Fantomah fan, so maybe I can help. I wrote about the weird change of direction here. My guess is that the incoming writer wanted to do a different series, so when he was stuck with Fantomah he just changed it until it fit the story he wanted to tell.

Such things still happen today (eg. John Byrne's run on Wonder Woman).

Marionette said...

I just found out that another feature in Jungle Comics got a new origin in the same issue as Fantomah, so maybe it was an editorial decision.

BTW which issue is the Fantomah story here from?