Friday, February 18, 2011

The Things Our Parents Did to Get Us Out of Their Hair for an Afternoon Friday!

Dear Ones, it is President's Day on Monday, so I fear this will be the last post until Tuesday.  No tears, now!  No tears!

Meanwhile, here's something to keep you occupied while I'm gone:


Just when I think I must have seen every ad that has ever been in a comic (at least, from 1974 and on), I see something that I can guarantee you I wouldn't have forgotten.

So, let me get this straight: I chip away at something that has been unnecessarily encased in some kind of plaster, then I paint it.  Then.... help me out here.  Do I throw it away, or what?  I mean, you could at least turn Shrinky-Dinks into keychains or something.  I liked Shrinky-Dinks.

But the purpose of this eludes me.  I suppose if it had given me little statutes of comic characters, I might have been a little more inclined to make room among all the other crap I kept in my room as a child.  But a generic athlete?  What's the point?  To maintain a shrine to sports of which I sucked?  Remember, folks, this ad was in a comic book, and we comic book readers have never been typically regarded as your "Organized Sports" types.

Maybe I would keep the animal ones.  I had dogs as a kid, but every time one of them did anything remotely destructive, my father would unceremoniously get rid of it.  I'd come home from school and be like, "Um... where's Sparky?"  It was like living in a Hitchcock movie.  Ah.... the fond memories of childhood.  I always have at least three dogs in my home these days.  Partially because I love them, and partially to spite my parents.  It's a win-win.

The stuff today came from Detective #429 today.  The same place I found this:

.

To be fair to Bruce, that is totally gross.

Oh, and I also saw this:


Isn't that guy's face the greatest drawing you've ever seen?  He's totally saying "If it'll shut yer yapper for a night, fine.  But you totally owe me one later."

Whee!  I love comics.

See you Tuesday!

7 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

that's some funny shit, Man :D

Unknown said...

LOL Onea your best posts in awhile. :-)

Will said...

I totally remember both of these ads! I didn't realize that they had made a commitment to multiculturalism so early. "If you make these sculptures, your black, female, and blond-haired friends will come over and shout at you while mugging for the camera!"

-- Allergy

Madpuppy said...

I remember my sister and I getting Chip-Aways for Christmas. It was a fun way to kill some time, but, yeah, I have no idea what I did with the figures after I painted them. My mom probably put them somewhere in the attic, with all of our school art projects.

D.B. Echo said...

I always wanted a Chip-Away! A variation of them is still being sold, with plastic dinosaur bones encased in soft chalk blocks.

Erich said...

Is that Pat Boyette art in that Chip-Away ad? It certainly looks like Boyette's lettering.

Zocktastic said...

The guy isn't the only one looking weird in that last panel: That woman looks like she's plotting her hubby's imminent demise.