Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jim Nastics Thursday!


CAN YOU BELIEVE I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS ONE BEFORE TODAY?



So, MarvelX42 sends me a link to an article and in the comments, someone makes reference to Jim Nastics.  It was only mentioned by name, so I did a little digging (because there are some things we've just got to know) and this is what I found out:

I believe this came out around 1985, and was self-published.  The first issue gives us the awesome origin of the conveniently-named Jim Nastics, who undergoes the infamous "experimental treatment" and is able to bounce as if he were made of rubber.

In other words, he was Speedball:


... and when you're a rip-off of Speedball, that's really all there is to say about that.

UPDATE:  I was prematurely snarky.  Actually, Jim Nastics came about BEFORE Speedball, so it appears that Speedball is the rip-off unless someone has info to the contrary.  If not, Speedball goes into the Character Hall of Shame for that reason alone.

Except many characters had puns for names, which only makes sense because if your name is "Jim Nastics," you're probably going to seek out people who have names as terrible as yours to avoid the constant berating that would otherwise follow you wherever you went.  Jim's supporting cast included Ellie  Faunt, Hilly Landon, General Bull Dozier and even the dog was inflicted with the name "Auf Auf Weidersein." 

Actually, "Auf Auf Weidersein" is kind of cute.  I may hang on to that one for one of my future dogs.

My only regret is that I can only the covers, but I will find the actual issues someday.  Oh yes... they will be mine.  Until then, Jim Nastics, you will be the elusive prize that drives me onward.

See you tomorrow!

9 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

LOL Glad I could help. Ellie Faunt, lol.

Britt Reid said...

"Until then, Jim Nastics, you will be the elusive prize that drives me onward."

Gawd, I remember this as one of the first titles of the Black & White Boom of the mid-1980s. (what hath Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles wrought?)
It was BAD.
I don't mean Plan 9 from Outer Space "it's so bad, it's fun" bad, either.
By 1990, it was in the 25-cent bins.
It's so obscure, it's not even listed in the Grand Comics Database!

MarvelX42 said...

I just looked on Wikipedia and it says that Speedball debuted in 1988. If Jim Nastics come out in 1985 than Speedball would be the rip-off. But I haven't really done any indepth research....

Adam Barnett said...

Actually, Marv, I think you're right. I was wondering this morning if I had jumped the gun. Time to update the post!

Lazarus Lupin said...

Bouncing is an old comic book power. Are we going to say both are rip offs of bouncing lad? Plastic man?

lazarus Lupin
art and review
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/

Justin Garrett Blum said...

In fairness, if your last name is "Nastics", you're pretty much obligated to name your son "Jim".

SallyP said...

Well, I'd never heard of this either, so my thanks for the enlightenment.

I DO like the dog's name however. Of course I named my OWN dog, Virginia Woof, so my taste may be suspect.

Zocktastic said...

The only punny name I don't get is "Hilly Landon". Somebody wanna help clear that one up for me?

MarvelX42 said...

Hilly Land is the only thing I can see in that one. If it is supposed to be something else, I have no idea.