Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Atoman Age! It Lasts for Two Whole Months!


My lovelies, I am in for a rough few days, so please bear with me if I miss a post here or there.  But let's be optimistic as we check out Superman!


Or Atoman, as the case may be.  There's really no difference.
Anyway, here's him:


I'm not seeing a whole lot of mystery as to whether he's going to "use his strength for good or evil."  I mean, he seems awfully happy, so if he does turn out to be evil, he's going to enjoy it so much that he'll be Joker-level crazy with Captain Marvel-level power.

Which would actually be kinda awesome, now that I think about it.  Note to self.

Hey!  Random Slap! (tm!)


If you're a hired thug, you're going to get slapped at some point.  Occupational hazard.

Anyway, he was exposed to atomic radiation somehow (and it's pretty sad that I don't remember how, because I just read the issue about thirty minutes ago), and he was dang optimistic:


Yeah, everyone get on the Google and check out how the radio-active body she had turned out for her.

But these are comics, sooooooo...


How does he know he has all these powers?  I mean, he smashed one fire hydrant on the way to his lab and managed to survive a big fall.  Not that I'm a scientific genius like he is, but I'm just not connecting the dots here.

Anyway, he makes himself a terrible costume:


Wow.  That is terrible.  We make fun of costumes as looking like long underwear, but folks.... I give you Exhibit "A."


Hmmmm... turns out he can fly and rip stuff up!


Fate... if you can call crashing a plane after a guy rips off your propeller "fate."


Such optimism.  We'll be "seeing a lot of him" in the form of one more issue:


MAN, that smile creeps me out.

Anyhoo, like I said, he had one more issue.  Judging by the cover, it looks like he'd already grown so bored with himself as we were: 


Not that I can draw, but he's clearly lost of lot of enthusiasm between issue #1 and issue #2.  Maybe his atomic powers told him his sales weren't so hot.

See you tomorrow (I hope!)

3 comments:

Frothy said...

It's tough for me to read this as anything other than "Attoman," as in "Atta man!" as in "Attaboy"....

-DS- said...

Maybe the accent's on the second syllable... like "atomic", but he's a man, not a mic.

maw maw said...

Another great feature by Jerry Robinson, co-creator of the Joker!

Just noticed this blog is up and running again! Welcome back!