Wednesday, April 23, 2014

ZAAAAPP!

Out with the old, in with the new... but not until we finish up with our last look at Action Comics #295!

First, it's a CMNS Moment... of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!)


This has been a CMNS Moment... of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!)

I've probably mentioned that I grew up in a town of about 35,000.  It didn't have everything, but it was a decent enough size where you didn't have to drive to the nearest city for everything... just a lot of things.

But I've also lived in towns as small as 1,000 people.  This is pretty much my take-away from my stints in Small Town America:


Yeah, that about sums it up.

This cracked me up:


The way the father breaks the news about brother getting killed in a mountain-climbing accident is priceless.  "Your brother?  Oh, he fell into a meat grinder at the slaughterhouse.  Pass the mashed potatoes."

And I hate to point this out, but if dad wants to keep things a secret from his kid, he probably shouldn't say those things out loud right in front of her.  I'm no parenting expert, but I would think that some protocols just make sense.

I loves me some comics.  I truly do.

See you tomorrow!

9 comments:

Gummboote said...

Also the changing-your-name-to-escape-disgrace thing probably works better if you change it to something different rather than spelling your old name backwards.

Green Luthor said...

"Yep, we'll change our family name by spelling it backwards! In fact, we'll do the same with our first names! Lena, from now on, you'll be... you know, maybe we'll just stick with the family name for now..."

Donald said...

I hope at least Lena got super powers out of that zap she took. That's how it works, right?

Aaron Carine said...

Did she ever find out that her brother was alive? Since he kept committing spectacular crimes that must have been reported in the media, I would think she would have found out, unless her parents forbade her to read newspapers, watch television, or listen to the radio.

To be fair, they didn't spell their name backwards; they moved the letters around.

Smurfswacker said...

But they had to spell their family name backward, or else future snoopers wouldn't be able to say, "Rothul...Rothul? Spelled backward, that's--LUTHOR!!!!"

It's a grand tradition. Remember Count Alucard?

Unknown said...

Maybe she thought the crimes were bring committed by another Lex Luthor? I mean, it's a fairly common name, right?

Gummboote said...

So they didn't even bother to rearrange the letters of their name as much to spell it backwards?

Erich said...

"Rothul...Rothul? Spelled backward, that's--LUHTOR!" (beat) "Nope, doesn't ring a bell."

Required field must be blank said...

Super powers? Need you ask?

"Lena had psychic/empathic abilities, gained from touching a Space Brain that Luthor was experimenting on before he became a villain."

Thank you Wikipedia for confirming that dusty memory.