Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Meet a Bit-O-Honey!


I know I'm way behind, but I finally got around to reading All-Star Batman and Robin.  In a nutshell, it's tied for "worst Batman story ever" along with the "Death of the Family" crossover.

So, let's cleanse my palate with Master Comics #67:


Is this an authentic representation of armor?  Because if so, I think it'd be easy to slip around behind the guy and sever his Achilles tendon.  I mean, not to be too graphic or anything, but it looks like his weakness is all yellow and eye-catching and whatnot.

Anyway, like most comics, Master Comics struggled to find it's place in a post-WWII world:


But apparently, the folks at Master Comics weren't convinced we finished the job:


This is news to me.  Any history buffs out there want to bring us up to speed?


Wow.  Harsh.  Someone tell me if this criticism is warranted.  I suppose it could have been warranted at the time and then rendered moot by subsequent efforts, but I really don't know.  Hey, I write a comic blog.  You people are supposed to educate me.

Now here's something disturbing:


Where shall we begin?  I find the image disturbing for a little girl to offer something called a Bit-o-Honey to a boy pretending to be an authority figure.  And hey, kids!  Send off for a free course in numerology!  Learn all about the divine, mystical connotations of the number of letters in your name!  Yay!

Check out another kid with a bike name:


Wow... Merilee is pretty hardcore about keeping bike owners separate from non-bike owners.

I mean, it works out for Betty, I suppose:


Yes, Betty, you have been tentatively admitted to a group of girls who had no interest in you until you had a new bike.

See you soon!


3 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

Bit-O-Honey was one of my favorite candy bars back in the early 60s. Despite what the ad says, B-O-H cost a dime while most other bars were a nickel. I will testify under oath that at no time did I use my desire for a Bit-O-Honey bar in an inappropriate manner; nor did I at any time become a Numerologist.

Cflmaior said...

Actually, Kurt Schaffenberger drew almost correctly the armor of Richard Neville, the 5th Earl of Salisbury (1439): the cuisses (thigh-pieces) were plated only at the front, worn over a woolen hose exposed at the rear, and the lower back was protected by mail-chausses or skirt, for comfort while riding. However, Kurt unexplainably left out of the drawing the rear part of the greaves (shin-pieces), which, as you correctly pointed out, would leave the knight's tendons exposed to attack. Also, the feather panache on the helmet was used only in tournaments, not during a battle.

George Chambers said...

Francisco Franco ruled Spain (all of Spain, not one province)from 1939 to 1975. He accepted aid from Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy during the Spanish Civil War and his regime was right-wing and authoritarian, though easing considerably in his last years. Was he a fascist? Many of his opponents believed so.