Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Superman vs.... THE GIANT CLAM!


I've noticed that the Superman comic book tends to use the interruption of a reprint issue or an imaginary story as a means of abandoning ship on plot ideas that didn't work out.  In this case, we see a reprint issue and then it's as if the whole "New Adventures" never happened.  More particularly, we don't see anything from the notion that he reduced his powers.

That being said, let's check out the high points of Superman #246:



First, I didn't realize Superman had any problems with harming animals.  I mean, it was he and Supergirl's conduct that brought about the Unnecessary Animal Abuse (tm!) meme that we use around here.

But okay.  Superman is freakin' Morrissey when it comes the welfare of all creatures great and small.


Um... you probably could have just forced it's mouth open rather than burn the thing.  I mean, when I'm playing fetch with my poodle and he doesn't release the ball, I don't come at him with a welding torch.


Okay, you do realize that eating steamed clams involves their death, right?  What's all this "I can't kill a clam" nonsense?  And does Superman have to eat?  I think it's pretty well established that he doesn't.  So, any meat he eats is unnecessary and... well, I don't think PETA is going to contact Mr. "Principles" any time soon.

Hey, did they use a photo in the background?


I'm not 100% sure, but it sure looks like they did.  I always find that sort of thing kinda cool.  If it is a photo, does anyone have any idea where we are?  I'm guessing New York City, but I've never been.

Hey!  It's time for some Fun with Out of Context Dialogue (tm!)


I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

Finally, we have a gag from "Tales of Krypton," one of my least favorite back-up features ever


On Krypton, eharmony is much more hardcore.

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Cflmaior said...

If that disco ball in panel #7 were right and "erratic and unstable" women were prevented from getting married... I wonder how sterile (in all senses) mankind would be.

Yael said...

Not to speak of erratic and unstable men...
I mean, humanity in general is not terribly orderly and stable, you know? That's kind of our thing.

But seriously, the sexism is strong with this one. 'I have analysed the two of you and you are incompatible. Clearly, the problem is with YOU.'
Ugh.