Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"Secretions of the Glands" are ALWAYS a Great Plot Device!

Thanks for bearing with me, everyone.  Work had really gone crazy for a while, but I think that things are starting to level out.  I hope you enjoyed Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog.  I watched it for the first time over the weekend, and since it was put out by Joss Whedon of The Avengers movie fame (which, I'm embarrassed to admit, I still haven't yet seen but I totally will) I thought it was worth passing along.

 So I'm reading All-Flash Quarterly #6 and apparently I missed out that the three idiot henchmen in the last issue were going to be recurring characters.  They're called Winky, Blinky and Noddy and between that and their rhyming last names, they pretty much had to hang out together.

Like most Liberal Arts majors, they didn't have any marketable skills, so they decide to start a "personality building" business:


... which sounds ridiculous, until you realize that "life coach" is actually a thing now.

Apparently, this involves either being a compounding pharmacist, alchemy, or just the desire to drink whatever you can get your hands on:


That exchange reminded me of the last line of the opener to David Lee Roth's Yankee Rose video.  Is everyone old enough to remember that?

Oh, what the heck.  Here it is:


They played music videos on MTV when I was a kid.  Scarred me for life.

Anyway, the boys invent some kind of personality machine, that Gardner Fox explains in typical Gardner Fox detail:



And, as usual, I don't understand nary a word.  But I am going to work in the phrase "my emotions are rioting inside of me" at the next available opportunity.

And I'm not sure how this fit in, but the Flash  encounters a social worker who likes to take her work home with her:


I was a social worker once and I never actually took a child home with me.  I'm just saying.  That's a little odd.  As in "does Social Services know this woman is helping herself to a little orphan boy?" kind of odd.

Of course, things go wrong, but the fast-talking Winky, Blinky and Noddy are too clever not to buy themselves some time:


I would be the portly guy in the middle.  What do you mean we went to have ice cream?  I don't remember having any ice cream!

Hey!  It's time for some Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)


Yes, the child said "gollywobbles."  And he says it a lot.  Nearly every panel in which he appears has that phrase, and I'm skeptical I can make that phrase popular.

But you know I'll try.

I looked it up, by the way.  This guy has a blog by that name, so someone else must have said it somewhere.  I saw that it may be a bastardization of the nonsense word "collywobbles" which is "a state of intestinal disorder, usually accompanied by a rumbling stomach."  Which, of course, makes it awesome.


That's not very American of you, Flash.  We're all about interfering with the life choices of others if we don't happen to agree with them.  That's as American as spray-tanning.

More on this story tomorrow.  Oh, did I mention that the machine started switching people's personalities with one another?  Like in Freaky Friday?  Yeah, that's happening.  That's probably important.  Sorry I didn't mention it before.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

I sorta figured out the switching personalitys thing from the "I knew I was a feller, but I was actin' like a dame!" But, yeah, I don't know. It doesn't seem like they are actually breakin any laws.

SallyP said...

Obviously the Flash doesn't handle change well.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Did James Robinson kill these guys off in CRY FOR JUSTICE?

MarvelX42 said...

Also, didn't those guys fight Pacman?